Visit My Website

Visit My Website www.KateMathis.net

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Things I Didn't Know

I didn't know how tough it would be to get published. I knew it would be difficult but I wasn't ready for the complete rejection. Sending query letters out almost daily and getting response from maybe half. And the responses I did get were slips of paper, cut from 8.5 X 11, saying 'not at this time'. For awhile I changed the chapter, the query letter - I reviewed, enhanced and would receive another letter saying it was too enhanced, too reviewed.
Discouraging.
I know it sounds trite but you've got to grow a thick skin and let someone else read the rejections. Keep the one (and you only need one) positive declarations of all your hard work. An agent that gets personal with their rejection isn't someone you'd want to work with anyway. Truly the writing is only a small part of the puzzle and there is so much more afterwards. Another thing I didn't know.
Someone told me that writing was 5% of the process and though I would raise that to at least 60% there still is that 40 that is killer!
Have confidence. Tell yourself daily that it is possible and keep writing.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment