Visit My Website

Visit My Website www.KateMathis.net

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Arizona Celebrates 100 Years Of Statehood!

This past school year I've been catching up on US history - my girls get notes daily and we walk around the neighborhood studying for their Friday tests. It's been an eye opening experience. It's incredible how much I've forgotten - this is just one class - imagine over the years how much knowledge has gone in and out of my brain! Why - I could've been a Genius! But I guess I've just got to settle for ... forgetful.

Anyway, what was I saying?

Oh, yeah, AZ Statehood. I just got back from a visit of downtown Tucson where there is a big celebration going on. Truthfully, this is a huge month for us in the So. Arizona. We've got the Gem and Mineral Show, the Accenture Golf Tournament and the awesome La Fiesta de los Vaqueros - the Tucson Rodeo. 

Today, we went to the Fox Theater (one of those old places your parents say they used to get in for a dime). It took forever getting through traffic, finding parking and finally making our way through the promotional booths and roping a pvc bull. Then we stopped at the Rodeo Museum display of old wagons – that are still used annually in the rodeo parade and spoke with a man who knew about my great grandfather. My great grandfather, Adolfo Vasquez, was a blacksmith who built wagons. 

Once inside the Fox we sat down right as the program was starting. We were supposed to be late. And the first thing the man portraying an important Tucsonan back in 1912 says is that he was an apprentice and influenced by Adolfo Vasquez!

It was like we were meant to be there. 

So, there Willow Smith! Have your big, fancy, famous, rich, gorgeous parents and open for Justin Bieber because I've got Adolfo Vasquez!

Happy 100 Years!

Kate 

No comments:

Post a Comment