Visit My Website

Visit My Website www.KateMathis.net

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving this year was like taking a step back in time. Family from all over town came and visited - it was loud, wonderful and sad. It reminded me of my childhood when aunts, uncles, cousins and long distance family gathered at my parent's house. The only problem was that one of my heart's favorites was missing, we were at a different house and ... I'm older.

So, right now I'm still in the middle generation between kids and parents. It's fascinating. What is? How people don't change. I always thought that as you grew older, you'd learn - or maybe that unimportant stuff would matter less ... it doesn't. Same petty crap that you struggle with as an 11-year-old is still there when you're 75. Personality is a very curious thing, strong and dominant.

I'm trying to become aware and I am going to break the cycle for me and for my girls. I'm afraid my mom is a lost cause, not that she's petty or my family is ... it's just that the same undertone of conversation repeats for 50 years. I miss the big family gatherings.



Reminder: Book Discussion at Mostly Books on Dec. 17th at 1pm! Had a dream about it last night - big auditorium and an uncomfortable spotlight.

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving and that you learned a little more about who you are and where you come from.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment